We’ve selected five good reasons why you should come along and enjoy the Aegon Classic Birmingham at Edgbaston Priory College.
1.Best ever -line up
This year’s tournament boasts eight of the top ten players in the World including:
- The current World No 1 – Angelique Kerber
- British No 1 – Johanna Konta
- Reigning French Open Champion – Garbine Muguruza
- Five Times Grand Slam Champion – Maria Sharapova
This means you will see world class tennis as these supreme athletes battle it out on the grass as they make their preparations for Wimbledon.
2.Witness a little bit of history
The trophy that successive winners of the Aegon Classic Birmingham have held aloft is named after the first Wimbledon ladies singles winner, Maud Watson. She was a member of Edgbaston Cricket and Lawn Tennis Club and she brought the Wimbledon trophy back to Birmingham with her name engraved on it in 1885. Some of the best players in the history of the women’s game have held this trophy, including legends such as Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King. Who, we wonder will lift this famous trophy this year?
3. Experience a little bit of Wimbledon
This year, Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum’s Learning Department and the Wimbledon Foundation will be bringing a taste of The Championships to the Aegon Classic Birmingham. During the tournament you’ll be able to:
- Discover the fascinating stories of seven female tennis players in our ‘Inspirational Women in Tennis’ exhibition
- Help us to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the first radio broadcast from Wimbledon, the 80th anniversary of the first television broadcast from Wimbledon and the 50th anniversary of the first colour TV broadcast from Wimbledon by listening in on our Community Art Project
- Pose like a Champion in front of our Centre Court backdrop
This exhibition, alongside the tournament village, is set to significantly enhance the day out for Members and Visitors.
4. Summer is Served
As well as enjoying the action on court, it’s also time to bring out the Pimm’s! From a three course formal lunch in the clubhouse and afternoon tea to the more relaxed Ottolenghi salad bar and Finals brunch there’s plenty of choice to entertain friends and family between matches! View our clubhouse menu here
5. Great Member Offers
We’re on course to achieve record ticket sales for this event so don;t miss out on this opportunity to see the best players in the world in action at your club. Use your exclusive Member code (provided to you by email) to take advantage of the exclusive member offers, including the finals Weekend Doubles Deal and exclusive discounts in hospitality.
So what are you waiting for? Qualifying begins on 17th June. The Main Draw begins on 19th June. Sharapova will play on 20th June. The new Aegon Classic Birmingham Champion will lift the Maud Watson trophy on Sunday 25th June.
Buy your tickets online now at The Ticket Factory.